Enjoy Argentina Travel
INTRODUCTION to ARGENTINA
Iguazu National Park
Foz De Iguazu
Road of Big Lakes
Road of the History
The Road of The
Road of Mar Chiquita
Road To Traslasierra
Zone of the Centre
The Wine Trail
Circuit of the
TRAVEL & TOURS
Lake Perito Moreno
Villa La Angostura
Tierra del Fuego
SAN MARTIN DE LOS
ANDES and the CROSS
of the LAKES
Junin de los Andes
Lanin National Park
|Call our TOLL FREE number: USA: 1-800-790-2961
Local Line: Spain - Barcelona: 0034-931846831 UK - London: 44-203-393-8867
Business Hours: Monday to Friday: 09:00 am - 6:00 pm.
Headquarters (located in Lima - Peru) Time Zone: GMT -5 hours
Parish Church of the Fig (La Higuera)
It is a colonial architectonic jewel in relatively good state of conservation. It was built around 1880 with resources provided by Don Josué Vasquez de Novoa, a true patriarch and patron of the zone, whose remains rest at the Church's atrium.
Town of Soto
Market and Parish Church of San Roque Plaza
It has ample stands of pure colonial style, an authentic architectonic jewel, and a true historic monument unique in the entire northwestern zone of the Province. It is 62,50 long and was built by Don Jose Ignacio Peralta in the year 1850. It is very well preserved. The Parish Church was finished in the year 1868 and it was built on land donated by the same person, an illustrious and unforgettable patron of this Town. It was refurbished and enlarged in the year 1911 under the supervision of Don Salvador Fatamia.
Siquiman Hacienda (Chapel of the Virgin of Quebracho)
It is an authentic jewel of colonial art located along the old road to Quilpo. Rooted in the proper origins of Cruz del Eje along with San Marcos, it was the largest and most prosperous hacienda in our zone. These origins go back to the year 1675, when Don Luis Abreu Albornoz got these lands from Governor Don Francisco Negrete. In the year 1716 it became the property of Don Luis Ladrón de Guevara, who was the true starter of this admirable land-exploitation project. Produces such as vegetables, maize and wheat, amongst others, were cultivated on its 25 square kilometres. It also had vineyards, two wine cellars and a mill that elaborated flour.
There is an old quebranchoFernleaf Acacia (Acacia pennatula) trunk with the image of the Virgin in a carved niche at one side of the building. Its current proprietors have neatly refurbished the hacienda house, magnificently preserving its original style. An also well-preserved small chapel was built in 1896, which is well attended by devotees.
Masa and Copacabana Haciendas
Historically speaking both haciendas once conformed a unique patrimonial unity. References regarding the late XVI century read of its existence with a surface of 25000 hectares property of Don Pedro de Gandia. The estate is divided in the early XIX century due to succession problems in two large groups: Masa and Copacabana, which come to our day as such, though totally reduced on its original extension. They began to be sold fractionated and according to the different lines of succession, and nowadays there are only the hacienda houses, true architectonic jewels of the purest colonial style very well preserved by their current owners.
The Masa Hacienda acquired an important historic role especially when Colonel Faustino Allende was its proprietor in the first decades of the XIX century, for he turned it into his Headquarters, transforming it into an inexpugnably fortress during his fights against Chief Facundo Quiroga. Major Sergeant Don Nicolas Arce, a famous local founder of a family still living amongst us, used to go along with the Colonel on his campaigns. .
Parish Church of Our Lady of Carmen
The first temple was a simple oratorio located on the lot currently occupied by the Olayón Club on Sarmiento Street, and it had the first cemetery in Town, also dubbed Holy Field, on the backyard as was usual in those times. The construction of this new temple started in the year 1889 under the technical supervision of builder Don Carlos Tarter, and was finished in the year 1902. The temple is of romantic style with baroque and renaissance reminiscences.
Monument of the Virgin of Carmen
She is the patron of the City and the dioceses of Cruz del Eje, and the monument inaugurated in the year 1992 in Her honour, and to commemorate 500 years of evangelisation since the discovery of America, has an evangelising cross that stands out for its shape, which resembles those that used to be planted along with the Spanish flag when the Iberian crown took possession of new land.
Tourists can appreciate the sculpture of the Virgin of Carmen when entering the City, which is located on top of a small hill, coming along National Route N° 38.
Municipality of Cruz del Eje
Don Carlos Tater built it on a state donated by the first City mayor, Don Felix A. Cáceres. The building houses the City's Intendancy and the Honourable Deliberant Council. It is located before the 25 de Mayo Plaza.
Wine cellar of Don Alfonso Turella He was a man of Italian origins who acquired a great extension of land in the early XX century, planted vineyards and built the most modern wine cellar of the region on Alem Street, nearby Toco-Toco Station, and installed state-of-the-art implements and machinery for its time. He accumulated a huge fortune though all his vine empire came crumbling down when he died in the year 1927. Nowadays one can see an unforgettable past full of nostalgia on the ruins of this important edification, which undoubtedly add a touch of sadness in this sector of Alem Street, close to Velez Sarfield Street.
"Republic of Peru" School of Teachers - Mansion of Don Juan de Dios Ortega
Don Juan de Dios Ortega, a wealthy sugar refinery industrial from Tucumán, built a magnificent and ample two-storey mansion with a basement in the year 1902, in the very same place currently occupied by the School of Teachers (Normal). It was the first house with an upper floor in the young village, and it was so impacting that the name of the street it was on, Sarmiento Street, began to be known as the "Street of the Upper Floor" until the year 1910, when it was renamed Centenario Street, though it got its original name back around the 1920s, which it keeps till today.
The government rented the house in the year 1918 when the School of Teachers was created. Eventually the government acquired the ample estate, a total of 43 hectares, and the works for the new seat started in the year 1946, being the superb building we can appreciate nowadays inaugurated in the year 1948.
El Pantanillo - Gorge of the Parrots - Caviche - Old road to Catamarca
There were two indigenous settlements in the zone at the time of the Spaniards' arrival, the first one was in the south sector, known as Toco-Toco, while the second one was in the northern sector, called Caviche and located nearby El Pantanillo, in a place called Gorge of the Parrots, which is pretty much visited by scholars who come to the area looking for native remains.
There is a road crossing this zone, which is the prolongation of Pellegrini Street and formerly called Armesto Street because all the surrounding land belonged to the homonymous family, known as the Old Road to Catamarca, just like it is called on ancient maps of the Department of Cruz del Eje. It was the old road linking us with the capital of the Province. Oral traditions gathered from the oldest inhabitants of the zone tell that during the English Invasions Marquis of Sobremonte took this road bound to Catamarca, in order to then continue northbound, carrying the Royal Treasure in a carriage, though feeling unsafe and fearing an assault he buried the riches at the side of the road and returned home. Adventurers carrying old maps used to open holes here and there in search of legendary and fabulous treasures till recent years.
The Railroad - North and South Stations - The Workshops - Larcher Hotel
Although the railway has practically disappeared from the local scenery, this extinguished factor of progress is already part of our history. The line "Dean Funes to Chumbicha", which was its official designation then, began to be built in the year 1886. The section up to Paso Viejo was inaugurated in the year 1890, and Cruz del Eje welcomed with much delight the triumphal pass of the train, thus starting an unforgettable and nostalgic era of social and economic progress. The branch-line connecting Cordoba with Cruz del Eje South and going across the Sierras of Punilla, later called Toco-Toco, was habilitated in the year 1891. Both lines were interconnected in the year 1909.
The famous workshops, then amongst the most important in the country, were built in the year 1890, and they were previously located in Tuclame.
The Larcher Hotel, managed by the homonymous family, was the first modern hotel in the village built nearby the train station, as a result of the importance the south sector had acquired with the arrival of the railroad. This establishment had to close its doors when the two lines were interconnected for the north sector overshadowed the south, though the old building can still be seen in pretty good shape.
Old House of Don Felix A. Cáceres
It is an aged construction and former commercial seat of an important General Retail Shop, one of the most prestigious by the late XIX century, whose administration and responsibility Don Felix transferred to his sons in the year 1890, when he assumed the administration of the City. It is located on the high sidewalks beside the Parochial House, in 25 de Mayo Plaza, and it is in relatively good shape.
Mansion of the Gassmann Family
It was built by Doctor Herman Gassmann in the late XIX century with the façade being a replica of the castle his father had in the kingdom of Saxony. It was of unparalleled magnificence in the young Town of Cruz del Eje, with its ample aisles, lounges, bedrooms and patios, decorated and embellished with exquisite and valuable suites, adorned with fine silverworks, ceramics, crystal works, and countless artworks brought-in from Germany, which turned this exceptional mansion into a point of reference and certainly into a touch of class amid the Town's upper class. Doctor Gassmann was of German origins and he married a distinguished local young lady, Miss Deidema Salome Brion Torres. He was also the first doctor to practice in the zone, and he opened the first pharmacy as well, which was attended by his wife.
The house is currently in the most deplorable condition, and it can be seen on Sarmiento Street, close to National Route N° 38.
Mansion of the Marechal Family
Don Claudio Marechal, of French origins, built it in the early XX century and it was a place of distinction for the local society in old Cruz del Eje. Truly dazzling parties highlighted by the only piano existing in the Town used to take place at its lounges. It has a huge wine cellar in its basement due to the productive activity of the Frenchman. It is currently in perfect state of preservation and it houses the home for the elderly, San Vicente de Paul. It is located on Sarmiento Street, nearby 25 de Mayo Plaza.
House of the Herrera Family
It is the ancient house of this family from Catamarca, and was built by Mr Pacifico Herrera, uncle of the famous poet Ataliva Herrera, who married local young lady Miss Teofila Castro.
It is a valuable architectonic jewel, ample and elegant, with a delicious and refined colonial style and a beautiful frontispiece facing the asphalted road to the dam. It was built by the late XIX century as part of a great hacienda, and it is currently the property of Doctor Claudio Daparte who has it very well preserved and added a few modern details. He uses it as a country house for solace and rest.
House of the Beuck Family
Along with the previous, both facing the same road to the dam, they conform a beautiful pair of mansions of similar style, hardly the only ones built by the late XIX century still standing. Don August Beuck, a fine cabinetmaker of German origins, who came to the country with his good old friend Herman Gassmann, built it and married local young lady Miss Arcelia Castro, who gave him nine children. He installed a workshop in the house and a farm at the far end.
House of Doctor Arturo U. Illia
It is a 210-square metre house built by Jose Debard in 1940 on a terrain 22,70 metre long with a 9-metre front. It was purchased and donated to Doctor Illia, who lived in here until the year 1963 when he took office as the president of the republic, by public subscription in 1944. It is currently property of his sons, who have it very well preserved, with a refurbished façade full of bronze plaques put there as a homage to the man, which attracts all those permanently coming here to visit this simple house. Its neat and austere interior keeps the plain suites just as the illustrious occupant left them. It is a true historic monument located on 181 Avellaneda Street.
House of famous dancer Don Eugenio de Orelo
Don Eugenio de Orelo was born in Cruz del Eje in the year 1895. He travelled the world, especially Europe and North America, dazzling spectators with his dancing accompanied by the most famous characters of his time. He reigned upon the most renowned sceneries, filmed motion pictures in Hollywood, was decorated by the French government, and frequented the most prestigious intellectual circles. He died in Mendoza in the 1960s. He bought this house for his mother, Mrs Carmen Herrera de Orelo, in one of his trips back to Argentina and it is still under her name in the public registers of Cruz del Eje.
It is built on a lot 70 metres long with a front of 7 metres and its façade, aged due to the erosive action of time, has the evocative and delicate words My Flowers engraved in English. It is currently pretty much deteriorated and occupied by intruders. It is located on 937 Sarmiento Street.
House of the Armesto Family
Don Carlos Maria Armesto built this 200-square metre house on a 2649-square metres estate in the year 1915, with the main front facing Pellegrini Street and surrounded by gardens and dense woodland. It was the family house of this authentic patron of Cruz del Eje, whose father, who had the same name, arrived in the country in the mid XIX century coming from Aragon, in Spain, and became Lieutenant Colonel of the Regiment of the National Guards, and one of the most outstanding figures in this zone.
The Armesto is considered a founding family in this City because they bought a piece of land in the decade of the 1860s that later would be the "centre" of the City. His son, Doctor Jorge Raul Armesto, a career diplomat who used it as a summerhouse until he died in the year 1994, inherited this old house in the year 1973. It is currently neglected, relatively deteriorated and abandoned. It is located in the ample corner of Pellegrini and General Paz Streets.
House of Don Antonio Malacrida
Don Carlos Tarter built it in the year 1910, and Don Antonio Malacrida, a top executive at the railway company who arrived in Cruz del Eje in the early XX century, acquired it a few years later. The beautiful delicate style of its façade turned this house into one of the flashiest in Town. Its current owner sort of deformed this exceptional perspective by adding a plain southern wing to the original building for business' purposes. Nevertheless, its exquisite prettiness can still be appreciated seen from the north side, with its gallery and ample arches, vestiges that need to be preserved and maintained. It is located on Sarmiento Street, a few metres away from Rafael Nunez Street.
Old Printing-House of Don Temístocles Pedernera - "La Idea" Newspaper
The first printing-house in Cruz del Eje dates back to the year 1877 and it was installed at the Siquiman Ranch, though it did not last long. Don Nicolas Pedernera, authentic pioneer of local journalism, inaugurated his own printing-house in the year 1908, the oldest one in Town. His son, Don Temístocles Pedernera, is its current director and edits the fortnightly newspaper La Idea, which was founded by Don Nicolas in the year 1922 being then the only existing newspaper, besides doing different printing works. It is located on 844 San Martin Street.
Aurelio Crespo Hospital
This magnificent health facility is part of a story worth telling. Don Aurelio Crespo, an illustrious benefactor born in the City of Cordoba in the year 1838 and dedicated to land-surveying, left the Mogrovejo Hacienda to the bishop of Cordoba on his will and testament of the year 1909, when he died in the same City in the year 1910 at the age of 72, with the expressed commission of selling it and building a hospital for one hundreds patients in Cruz del Eje with the money obtained from the transaction. It was inaugurated on July the 4th of 1947.
This beautiful construction emerges amid dense woodland in which two aging and tall aguaribayes California Pepper Tree (Schinus molle): stand out. It has an ample and spacious gallery crowned with seven columns on its façade, which give the compound an admirable handsomeness. The history of this hacienda is narrated in the previous point referred to the Crespo Hospital. Its original 10000 hectares were fractioned with the passing of the years and nowadays the house, along with an estate of 2612 hectares surrounding it, are the property of Faiwel SA, a firm dedicated to proper hacienda activities. It has been recently refurbished though still keeps its original style untarnished. This beautiful and old house is accessed crossing the pass over the Cruz del Eje River, at La Cartuja resort. A little further ahead appears, imposing, this true architectonic jewel.
House of the del Águila Family
It is a mansion that hosted lavished parties for the high society of those old times, which is currently deteriorated and divided in two by a rustic wall, although it maintains the prettiness of its original style.
25 de Mayo Plaza
It is the oldest plaza in the City, inaugurated with the name of 9 de Julio, and later re-baptised with the name of 25 de Mayo. It has tree species such as palm trees, lapachos (Tabebula avellanedae), Pau D'arco and pine trees, not all of them native. It is located before the Church of Our Lady of Carmen, the Municipality building, and the Regional Unit 14 of the Provincial Police of Cordoba.
It is a structure made of iron and steel cables hanging over the Cruz del Eje River. It is an ideal place for the practice of sports in open air. It has barbeques amongst other facilities and was inaugurated in the year 1991.
It was commissioned to commemorate the 500 years of evangelisation and the discovery of America. It is located in the corner of Eva Peron Avenue and Aurelio Crespo Street.
New Bus Terminal
It is a project of engineer Zeller that began to be built in the year 1991 under the municipal administration of Mayor Francisco Alberto Esteban. It was inaugurated in the year 1994 and due to its technical structure it is one of the largest terminals existing in the Province. It is located between Jose Hernandez and 3 de Febrero Streets.
Doctor Arturo Humberto Illia Dam, Cruz del Eje
The works for this dam began in the year 1940 and ended in the year 1944. It is located in the confluence of the San Marcos, Quilpo and Candelaria Rivers; it is not sitting on geological faults and has an earth and artificial dam with a system of floodgates and spillways. It contains 125000000 square metres of water with a surface of 1327 hectares that irrigate 2000 hectares, and its powerhouse produces 11 million Kilowatts a year, though it is its 860-metre long dam wall which stands out for its architectonic perfection. It is the third largest of its type in the world. It was built for the purpose of providing potable and irrigation water, generating energy and dimming the rivers' outflows.
La Cartuja Municipal Resort
It has a large campsite with fresh water, electrical power, barbeques, restrooms, dressing rooms, etc. It is situated on the banks of the Cruz del Eje River, on Arturo Illia Avenue.
Olive Grove of San Nicolas
It is a full productive olive grove covering more than 1200 hectares of land with a modern olive oil factory, and a vantage point that allows appreciating the extension of the plantation as far as can meet the eye. It is by far the largest industry in the area, the most extensive olive grove in America and one of the largest in the world. It is located 15 kilometres away from the City.
ISO 9001 : 2000|
Tourist Operation Management|
Electronic Air Tickets Distribution
|OUR TRAVEL AND TOURISM SITES|
IN LATIN AMERICA
Travel & Tours
Travel & Tours
|ECUADOR & GALAPAGOS|
Travel & Tours
Travel & Tours
Travel & Tours
Travel & Tours
Travel & Tours
Operated by Latin America Travel & Tours
Av. Pte. Roque Saenz Peña 615 4º Of. 416 - Buenos Aires - Argentina
TOLL FREE number: USA: 1-800-790-2961
Terms and Conditions | Contact Webmasters | Site Map
Argentina Link Directory
Last Update: © ENJOY CORPORATION S.A. All Rights Reserved.